Tuning pin drilling?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 07:08:54 MDT 2007

<Yes, there is time involved, but not a whole lot. I resaw one
<Delignit block into three and plane them to 9mm each. So a
<$110 1-1/2" single block makes three caps at $37 each plus
<time. A single 1-1/4" multilam is $75. A double is $141, and
<will occasionally yield three blocks. Not often, but it
<happens. So the difference in cost is essentially time and
<epoxy to laminate the cap to the block. For the drilling ease,
<the uniformity of results, and the marvelous tuning feel, it's
<no contest for me. It's worth the extra time and epoxy, for
<which I charge a moderately higher price than for Delignit. My
<costs are covered, and I think the product is far better.

<Ron N
-------
Nice explanation...thanks...I will think about this....

One question, on the milling of the delignit.  Planing delignit in
with the steel knives in my planer would blow the knives away.
Are you planing and or jointing with carbide? Or do you just resaw and go
right to the forgiving epoxy?

Jim I