cracks in rim

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 6 15:02:23 MDT 2007

Barbara, does the piano sound like a - well, er, ah - like a KG-2 typically sounds? No worse? My guess is that it does not necessitate action. I might mark the extent and size of the cracks and monitor things over time - see if cracks are lengthening and/or getting wider.

If someone were considering purchasing the piano with this situation, I might suggest it cause for some level of concern, but if the owner is going to keep it, then just monitor. If you think there is a loss of piano tone - volume, sustain, etc., then perhaps filling the crack with thin epoxy could be warranted.

Terry Farrell