cracks in rim

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 18:34:59 MDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Michael Magness <IFixPianos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 9/6/07, Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Barbara, does the piano sound like a - well, er, ah - like a KG-2
> > typically sounds? No worse? My guess is that it does not necessitate action.
> > I might mark the extent and size of the cracks and monitor things over time
> > - see if cracks are lengthening and/or getting wider.
> >
> > If someone were considering purchasing the piano with this situation, I
> > might suggest it cause for some level of concern, but if the owner is going
> > to keep it, then just monitor. If you think there is a loss of piano tone -
> > volume, sustain, etc., then perhaps filling the crack with thin epoxy could
> > be warranted.
> >
> > Terry Farrell

Hi again,

Expanding on my earlier post, the outer rim, does NOT affect tuning, or tone
since the plate and block are attached to the INNER rim. The tone would also
be unaffected since the tone comes primarily from the soundboard, hammers,
regulation all seperate from the outer rim or attached to the inner rim. The
outer rim has some minor effect on tone but compared to all of the others
listed above plus the top when raised I doubt it's all that noticable.
Mike

email mike at ifixpianos.com