Digital Micrometer Recommendations?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Sep 7 07:10:14 MDT 2007

>   Thanks for the useful info, Jerry.  I've calibrated my mechanical
> micrometer, and I know it isn't dead, but I'd like more accurate readings.
>
> Dave

Reality check,
Why would a digital readout be more accurate than analog? And
while we're here, what use could a string winder make of
nearest 0.0001" accuracy anyway, assuming you could get it.
He's using off the shelf gage sizes just like you. And if he's
using Roslau, and you're using Mapes IG, the measurements
won't correspond to the gage that accurately anyway. And from
a scaling standpoint, do you know the practical difference in
scaling by substitution of metric wire for inch based, or inch
for metric?

Ron N