inverting grand for cracks-in-rim repair

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Sep 7 09:38:14 MDT 2007

Dean May wrote:
> Depends on the size and how burly your lifters are. Use the same number you
> would use to put a piano on a skid. For a smallish grand 2 is fine. For a
> nine footer I'd use 4.
>
> Dean
>

> Conrad, Dean,
>
> Either way, how many people does it take?
>
> Barbara

That question seems to be answered, but I just thought of another
potential danger/problem.

Thinking out loud, here...

I haven't had the problem, myself, but wouldn't it be a good idea to
spread the weight along the entire top part of the outer rim by using a
2x4 or something similar, instead of just the fingers of the lifter?  On
a piano with a particularly thin outer rim, the weight of the keyboard
end, mostly on one point, might be too much shear force.

Has my imagination run wild again, or are there any horror stories to
confirm my fears?

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.