damper rod noise

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sat Sep 8 07:47:13 MDT 2007

Hi Rick,

I had a similar problem with an oriental upright but I'd call it a creak
rather than scratchy sound. I removed and lubed the rod with sundry and
various things. What finally seemed to work was ordinary bar soap. I
suspect too much glue was used on the felt--but the problem did not appear
until the instrument was 20 years old. The bar only creaked in the
piano--not when operated by hand in the piano, and not when I lifted the
rod by hand. Rod did not appear to be pitted in any way. Good luck with it!

At 01:23 PM 9/8/2007 +0000, you wrote:
>     OK List, &C (Samick) and a PR . Both uprights, with same problem.
>Sustain rod is making that scratchy noise . What is the lube of choice,
>does the bracket have to be removed to apply? Should I rebush with new
>buckskin? Very troublesome .... Thanks,       No virus found in this
>incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition.  Version: 7.5.485 / Virus
>Database: 269.13.7/992 - Release Date: 9/6/2007 8:36 AM
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner