damper rod noise

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 8 13:47:56 MDT 2007

On 9/8/07, Geoff Sykes <thetuner at ivories52.com> wrote:

>  I recently achieved acceptable results by using Teflon powder on the felt
> bushing that the metal rod passes through. I figured that since it works so
> well on hammer knuckles, (wood against leather), and key bushings, (metal
> against felt), why not on pedal rod bushings too? I didn't want to use
> anything that was not dry in that area because it would be an invitation for
> a buildup of contamination with dust etc. Anyone else ever use this? Any
> idea how long it might last?
>
> -- Geoff Sykes
> -- Los Angeles
>

> ------------------------------

Are you referring to the creaking sound, like rubber being tortured? That is
the problem I've found on most of the Samick products I've worked on,
haven't seen a lot of PR. I discovered the Samicks use a poor quality
version of the same "grommet" for lack of a better term, the rubber/neoprene
piece that fits in the pin on the end of the pedal rod that fits into the
hole in the end of the damper lift rod. Samicks wear out much more quickly
and are noisier until they do so. I've replaced them with Yamaha's version,
it looks exactly the same and had no more trouble! When I had none of those,
I've stolen the vitually new one from the soft pedal and put a little
Plumbers Grease on it, just a dab, that works for quite a while.

Mike
--
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404