Quality of tie tapes/bridle straps

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 15:13:00 MDT 2007

Ever since I ran out of a 100 metre reel of tie tape and discovered
to my horror that I could get no more, I have been searching in vain
for a supplier of the good stuff.  In the picture below from top to
bottom are 1. Tape as used by Schwander in Paris about 1900, 2. Tape
from my reel produced in England (Leicester?) till about 1980, 3.
American tape obtained from Germany.  Both 1 and 2 are 0.30 mm thick
( 0.012") and the American is 0.5 mm (0.020").  You will see that in
Schwander's the fishbone pattern is repeated 7 times, in the English
tape 8 times and in the American only 4.  The only thing good to say
of the American tape is that it uses the right weave, which is mopre
than can be said for the rubbish now being supplied by the English
houses.

Renner produce a tape of the proper weave but it is far to thick and
heavy and of a grey color, which might be acceptable if its other
qualities were OK, not to speak of the price.  The Czechs produce a
very white variety but this too is coarse and comes in lengths
suitable only for pianos that attach them at the balance hammer, not
at the butt.  I see a Chinese product advertised on eBay -- 7.5
metres of tape and a packet of ends for you to stick on, all at an
inflated price and looking from the picture no better than the other
inferior tapes I've mentioned.  They will not supply in bulk.

Does anyone happen to know the name of this type of weave or have
relations of friends in the trade who might be able to identify it?
I am seriously considering having the tape specially made in China or
India to the proper quality.  It could even be made of silk with
advantage; indeed a couple of years ago I rebuilt a fine old 1907
Schiedmayer & Soehne that did have silk tapes still in perfect
condition including the leather.  These were light blue in colour and
only 0.18 mm (0.007") in thickness.

Some things, in respect of supplies, have improved during my time in
the trade, but generally speaking I find the supply houses ignorant
of their product and unable to insist on the highest quality.  The
lack of awareness and sheepishness of most of their customers does
not encourage them to change.

In the case of tie tape, there is good reason for using this weave
and for making it light an very deformable, and tape of the quality
I'm looking for was the norm for over 140 years.  The old makers
would simply not have accepted the rubbish that is served up today.

I hope someone can put me on the right track.

JD