Quality of tie tapes/bridle straps

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 17:07:20 MDT 2007

At 19:08 -0300 11/9/07, John Ross wrote:

>I find some pianos in the area, have had the tapes replaced, with
>what I thought was shoelace material.
>Possibly it was material such as yours.
>Would a shoelace manufacturer, possibly be a source for what you want?

Brilliant thought!  At least they should be able to tell me the name
of the weave, though in the case of a shoelace it is probably knitted
since it is not tape but a (flattened) tube.  Here is a scanning of a
flat black "Kiwi" shoelace I happened to have right here.  The
pattern certainly does seem to be very similar and the sleeve says
"Made in England".  Come to think of it Leicester, where my tape was
made, I'm told, is one of the traditional centres of the shoe
industry, so I think we may be onto something.

Thanks.

JD