Re Bronzing Powder

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 14:07:04 MDT 2007

At 14:59 -0400 15/9/07, Jon Page wrote:

>Mix the powder with a little thinner first and than add it to the lacquer.
>
>As far as the ratio goes, you need enough so that the material offers
>a solid color and no too translucent but not so many particles in suspension
>that it clogs the nozzle.
>
>Don't forget to filter it, don't mix it in the cup.
>
>Once you get good coverage, add more clear to the gun and add some dimension.
>Finish off with clear but do not sand or touch the final gold before
>clear topcoat.

As to the ratio, ditto, but I'd say about 2 heaped tablespoons per
U.S. cup of lacquer.

I put the lacquer in a jar and spoon in the powder, then stir it
vigorously.  I have never filtered the mixture and never had any
problems through not doing so.  The important thing is to keep the
bronze in suspension first by stirring and shaking and, when the
mixture is transerred to the cup (I use a gravity feed gun), by
blowing air back through the cup from time to time to churn it up.

Be careful not to lay on the first coat of clear too heavily or it
will pull up the powder into suspension and leave ugly marks,
necessitating another coat of gold.  Spray on a light even coat
first, and when this is dry it is safe to apply a clear coat with
more body.

JD