Overseas employment

Geoffrey Arnold welltemperedtuning at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 15:36:29 MDT 2007

Hello all,

If a tuner from a foreign country asked me for advice on becoming established in the US, I would have no great advice for him or her. It is hard enough establishing oneself in their native country.

My wife holds a masters in Opera Performance and she and I have long shared the dream of living in Europe: France, Italy, or Spain. I speak French, she speaks Spanish, and Italy would be good for Opera.

I have spent some time at the websites for the organizations equivalent to PTG for these countries, but don't know the next step. I would love to hear any thoughts on the prospect of seeking international employment as a piano technician. These might be specific or general suggestions.

I am 2/3 to my RPT and assume achieving RPT status would be helpful in applying for any university or major music center employment. This move would be a few years off, but just getting my feet wet here.

Thanks!

Greg