Overseas employment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Sep 16 10:23:22 MDT 2007

Spain is probably a very good market for a skilled tech.  My
understanding is that there is a shortage of real good techs in the
major cities.  Just recently one we sent one of our concert techs down
to Seville for a new classical music festival that started there this
year.  Reasoning was that none of the local techs were up to putting
the instruments in shape and getting them ready for critical use.
Havent been there myself to affirm any of this... and no doubt any local
techs there might take offense at being sidelined... but it might be
worth a closer look.

Cheers
RicB

    Hello all,

    If a tuner from a foreign country asked me for advice on becoming
    established in the US, I would have no great advice for him or her.
    It is hard enough establishing oneself in their native country.

    My wife holds a masters in Opera Performance and she and I have long
    shared the dream of living in Europe: France, Italy, or Spain. I
    speak French, she speaks Spanish, and Italy would be good for Opera.

    I have spent some time at the websites for the organizations
    equivalent to PTG for these countries, but don't know the next step.
    I would love to hear any thoughts on the prospect of seeking
    international employment as a piano technician. These might be
    specific or general suggestions.

    I am 2/3 to my RPT and assume achieving RPT status would be helpful
    in applying for any university or major music center employment.
    This move would be a few years off, but just getting my feet wet here.

    Thanks!

    Greg