Strings and sealing wax, and other fancy stuph

David M. Porritt dporritt at smu.edu
Mon Sep 17 17:00:31 MDT 2007

Well I finished High School Chemistry 50 years ago now but my recollection
is that iron or steel plated with tin won't rust.  However, if the tin is
scrapped off the iron it will rust worse than if it had not been plated
because of the ion left there.  Scrape some tin from a tin can and see how
quickly it rusts.  Zink on the other hand protects the iron even after it's
been scrapped off, again because of the effect of the ion left.  Can't use
that with cans for food though as the Zink would contaminate the food.  Yes,
that is 50 year old chemistry but I think those elements still have pretty
much the same properties!

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu