Impact tuning hammers

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 22:55:22 MDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Leslie Bartlett <l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  I bought an impact hammer from Schaff, dropped a 3/8" shield about 5"
> long around the handle, filled the space with epoxy, then added a tennis
> racket handle tape and think I've got a marvelous impact tool.
> les bartlett
>
>  ------------------------------

Hi Tom,

I have no experience with them and have never had any interest in trying
them. I've seen them advertised with the exotic woods and more exotic prices
but I always figured if I just kept my concentration on the job at hand I'd
do fine with my old rosewood extension hammer(the one I've never extended).
Yes, I've had the odd Baldwin that was pinned so tight, I was positive I put
a twist in those pins but those are rare birds these days. I'm in my 38th
year and haven't come across the piano yet that was so tight I needed a $250
or $300 tuning hammer to do the job. Fine tuning is about nuance, how
doesone get nuance out of an IMPACT hammer? I've never been able to figure
that out. Of course I'm 6'4" weigh in about 285 and have a 38" sleeve length
so I may have some advantage over some of the other guys, size wise. However
2 years ago this November I took a fall while I was putting the siding on my
shop and couldn't raise my right arm above my shoulder when I got up. I went
to the clinic and the doc said I had a muscle tear, gave me a prescription
for an antinflammatory. 3 weeks later I had an appointment to see my regular
Doc and the shoulder still hurts, he checks it out and says he thinks it's a
rotator cuff tear and sends me to Physical therapy. 6 weeks later I'm not
improving, therapist sends me back to the doc who orders an MRI. I had a
full tear in my right rotator cuff, I found this out Feb 2, I did the
original injury Nov. 9, I go to see the surgeon who says, I think you
rehabbed it tuning pianos! He could do surgery but it would mean 6 months
downtime! I'm doing pretty good as is, I can even lift a piano!
My point is I tuned, with a regular tuning hammer and an unstable shoulder
through one of the busiest times of our  tuning year. Work on your hammer
technique, that's my advice.

Mike

--
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404