Broadwood bass strings

Karl Schenscher karlschenscher at internode.on.net
Sun Sep 23 18:54:32 MDT 2007

I am a collector and restorer in Australia and have a range of Broadwoods
pianos from 1790 to 1865. I also worked for Broadwood in London after
Graduation and tuned and saw hundreds of their instruments. In earlier
pianos the bass string was carried right across the bridge with the coiling
passing between the pins. It stopped just short of the string loop. This
seems by todays methods an unusal practice but in long grands with good
strings it produces a robust and rich sound that is quite distinctive to
this maker. In short grands and small uprighs it suffers the usual tonal
problem of depleted length and smaller soundboard resonance but at the time
it worked well. The older grands even had cloth wrapped around the coiling
at the point where the string passed over the bridge and through the pins.
It did not dull the tone or reduce clarity unduly. This company had been
building for many decades by then and had made some unique innovations. They
do restring well with some adaption to the scaling, with reference to the
original and other factors due to age and deterioration, and can surprise
the restorer and player alike.  Good wishes from Australia. Karl Schenscher.