Decomposing key leads

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 03:36:55 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/23/07 11:30:02 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com writes:

In this particular case the suggestions of some to coat  the exterior of the
leads may indeed reduce exposure chance. Also, if there is  any worry about
it, David Love's suggestion to just replace the leads and be  done with it is
certainly a valid solution - perhaps the best - it is really  not a major job.

Terry Farrell

I also didn't realize this was happening on a piano that is only a few  years
old. So if these leads are oxidizing in just a few years, then  wouldn't new
leads do the same thing in a couple of years,  considering where the piano is
located? I agree with Terry that there  will be very little chance of lead
powder being a hazard, that is why  covering the leads with shellac or lacquer
will still be the best solution.

Willem (Wim)  Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, Hawaii
Author, "The  Business of Piano Tuning".
available from Potter  Press.
www.pianotuning.com