Re; New Use For Goose's String Leveling Tool/Old News To

ricb at pianostemmer.no ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Sep 25 04:23:14 MDT 2007

Hi Mike.

Didnt mean to convey an unfriendly attitude. That said... I
understand very well your feelings on that count... but lets leave
that aside and assume we are good buds just chewing the communal fat
for the moment... because that is whats in my mind at all times
regardless of how some may feel it comes out.

As I dont think we need to go over the string seating parts of this
thread again because we have made our thoughts clear.  One thing
tho.. the procedure you describe is indeed as old as the hills... and
very very widespread. It is only more recently that many have become
sceptical... and some very inquisitive and good thinking has been
brought to bear on the matter.  At least IMHO.

The CA thing...  I dont see anyone talking about spraying CA every
where.  I see it suggested in really two concrete situations often...
loose tuning pins (where I personally believe it has a marginal
affect)... and for bridge pins...where clearly the addition of CA, or
epoxy for that matter has a very positive effect in clearing up
classic false beats.

I would of course agree entirely with you in being skeptical to any
unconsidered or indiscriminant use of CA.

Cheers.... and I for one welcome your thoughts... even if I am bound
to not agree with all of them.

RicB

----------------
I'm sorry Ric but you didn't inform me of anything I wasn't already
aware of
nor did you add to the discussion so much as confuse it.

So I reiterate don't try it just knock it. When I started in this
business
using an ETD was not only frowned on it was considered to be wrong! I
guess
if enough people do the wrong thing it becomes right, is that how it
works?
I'm still trying to make sense out of this whole PTG system of
jumping all
over someone who advances an idea or technique and declaring it to be
fool's errand due to the reader's misunderstanding of the technique.
I read every week about someone or other spraying CA all over some
piano and
getting pats on the back for it, what I learned was to do nothing
that the
next tech could not redo, which does not include spraying CA
everywhere.
When did that become a tried & true technique and who decided it?

I ask this question only because I want to know, since so many have
rejected
the technique I put forth, how many have tried it? I have been asking
that
all day, all I get back is surly replies, supposition and guesses.
In my chapter if we are going to test something we actually do it, we
don't
just guess at the results!! My chapter is a part of the PTG, the same
one
you all belong to, I'd like to thank you for your support or for some
of you
trying it but I can't because there has been none of either.
So I can only thank you all for nothing except your extreme closed
mindedness!

Mike