Bass Bridge Help!

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Tue Sep 25 21:32:12 MDT 2007

I don't know about the bass bridge but the tenor bridge caps tend to come loose on either side of the tenor/treble break.

The tell-tale-tone, in that case, is almost identical to the sound of a drummer's "wood block" traps, when hit by the stick.

In that case, it's glue and screw from the TOP of the bridge, between strings, and I countersink the screws to make sure they stay out of the way of the strings across the bridge.

Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote a great, fun poem called "The Deacon's Masterpiece or The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay" which was built all of materials and craftsmanship, each part of which crafted to last 100 years -- so, of course, 100 years later the thing completely disintegrates to dust, leaving the driver sitting on his bum in the middle of the road and the horse disappearing down the road. That, to me, describes the Hamilton Studios of my experience (and I service/have serviced many): They are Mack-Truck sturdy, rugged, dependable, and have a near-musical tone from the day they leave the factory until one day when, tragically, they become classic PSOs, seemingly overnight.

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO

P.S. As a teaser, here is the beginning of the poem. You can find it on the Net ...

Have you heard of the wonderful one-hoss shay,

That was built in such a logical way

It ran a hundred years to a day,

And then of a sudden, it—ah, but stay,

I 'll tell you what happened without delay,

Scaring the parson into fits,

Frightening people out of their wits,—

Have you ever heard of that, I say?