New Use For Goose's String Leveling Tool / Jon Page

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Sep 26 02:05:14 MDT 2007

Hi John

A couple comments inbetween below

    In a performance or recording tuning we have to delve into our bag
    of tricks
    to get through the situation, if CA doesn't stop the wildly
    offending unison
    then tapping the string or bridge pin might._ Heck, the tuning
    doesn't last
    forever either so why should the false beat suppression?  Just be
    mindful
    of the repercussions of your actions, use minimal invasiveness.
    _

This point is one often forgotten in the whole string seating
question... and in a couple other similar subjects. We retune... so why
not re-adress other issues when appropriate ?

    I'm getting into this late but was the original post suggesting that
    strings leveled
    (ala Joe Goose's level) at the bridge improved the tone? Or was the
    level used
    to demonstrate the effect of tapping.

The level was used to demonstrate an easy way of confirming that strings
can remain hung up off the surface of the bridge slightly by the
friction of the bridge pins. Actually they will stay just about wherever
you put them horizontally within about a half millimeter window... a
wide window when we get into string seating.

You can measure whether or not there is positive bearing upwards from
the face of the bridge along the entire path of the string... thats
easy. When thats done.. then apply this little trick. It confirms
without any questionable doubt that string seating is indeed a valid
procedure... that is to say unless one suggests that leaving strings
floating in the air (if ever so slightly) is a good thing.

That was the point of the original posting.
Cheers
RicB

    --

    Regards,