I 'spec someone does ...

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 11:54:10 MDT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:17:36, Don <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> While you are doing your searches look for "ca glue" and "pin block".
> Driving pins is *the old way*.
>
> At 12:13 AM 9/26/2007 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >If your tuning pins are loose and you have the room, you might want to
> drive
> >them. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that's a Delignet block in
> that
> >piano, Samick used them a lot back then. I don't believe the Delignet
> blocks
> >respond to humidifiers as well as other type blocks but that's just what
> I've
> >been told, I have no personal experience to that effect. Not that a
> Dampp-
> >Chaser wouldn't help, just if the pins are that loose perhaps driving
> might
> >help more. The D-C would help with sounding board, action, etc.
>

> >Release Date: 9/24/2007 11:27 AM
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.
> Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat
>
> mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com      http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
>
> 3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
> 306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner

No Don,
I unlike many on this site do not see the need to constantly use CA whenever
something is loose, rattles or buzzes.

In this particular case, firstly the piano isn't all that old, secondly
based on the one I've seen the pins weren't driven in far enough in the
first place, Third if they are considering a Dampp-Chaser(obviously to help
humidify the pinblock and tighten the pins)CA wouldn't be my 1st choice
since it doesn't do well in a dry climate. Fourth I wouldn't ruin a
perfectly good block by using CA as a stopgap method in a piano this new, I
would recommend re-stringing with oversize saving the church the cost of a
new block. No it isn't the greatest piano ever made but to ruin the block
with CA because the tech has no foresight is negligent!
In other words Don I THINK before I suggest about what would be the best
course of action if I were the technician and it were MY customer!!!!

Perhaps you need to turn your PTG card over and read what's printed on the
back!

I have used CA on pinblocks, old uprights, wurlitzer spinets, a couple of
no-name grands and the like, I pick and choose, I don't just dump it in
anywhwere!

Mike
--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging
their prejudices.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404