I 'spec someone does ...

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 15:22:32 MDT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:37:40, Don <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca> wrote:

> At 12:54 PM 9/26/2007 -0500, you wrote:
> >Perhaps you need to turn your PTG card over and read what's printed on
> the
> back!
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> You need to calm down. Your posts have been sometimes inflamatory but I
> forgave them as you being a newby. Insults have no place on the listserv.
> I'd appreciate a public apology, if you are man enough to make it.
>
> As far as CA not working in dry climates, we get down to 4% R.H. here. It
> works just fine on pin blocks if you use enough.
>
> Some technicians have repinned blocks that have been treated--so
> apparently
> CA doesn't "destroy" the block, contrary to your person opinion.
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.
> Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat
>
> mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com      http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
>
> 3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
> 306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner

I'm quite calm, you fired the first "shot" telling me to read up on CA and
pinblocks. As for insults having no place on the list I've just spent the
last 48 hours being told I was everything short of an out and out liar but I
guess no insult was intended? As for inflammatory posts, I only give
slightly stronger than I get, if you can't stand the heat get out of  the
kitchen!

Now for some facts, look over the list for the last 48 hours and you will
find some references to CA not working as well in Arizona where the humidity
is quite low(I know I lived there 'til I was 15). I know humidity can be
introduced during the cure phase but in my humble opinion a Dampp-Chaser
humidifier which cycles on and off according to the ambient humidity and the
setting of the humidistat is not nearly enough humidity for it to cure
properly! It has been my understanding via list references and discussions
at our chapter meetings that CA treatment of a block was a final resort, not
THE treatment of choice over driving pins with plenty of room to be driven.
It was also felt by most in our chapter that a block that had been treated
with CA would need to be replaced or at least that was my understanding. Now
perhaps that is because most in our chapter only turn to CA as a last
resort!?
In other words Don I believe what we have here is a difference of opinion.
As I said at the beginning of my post I unlike many on this site do not see
the need to constantly use CA whenever something is loose, rattles or
buzzes. Elaborating in that remark, I prefer to take the conservative
approach, the DIAGNOSTIC approach versus the "if it squeaks, spray it" or
"if it rattles or buzzes, CA it". I instead look to see WHY first, I use
very little CA except on pinblocks and I've had the same 4oz. spray bottle
of Protek for about 6 years now.
I don't CA every loose pin I run across, most times driving them about an
1/8 of an inch will tighten them up unless they're REALLY loose. Try it you
might save a little on CA.

I will apologize for the turn you card over comment, that went too far and
for that, I am sorry.

I still stand by the rest, I would drive them before I would CA them. Drive
them now and CA in 10 or 15 years when they need that!

Mike

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging
their prejudices.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404