Aaaaarrrrrgh, Part Deux

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Wed Sep 26 19:28:42 MDT 2007

Sorry, Mike, your response set off the global warming alarm on my Bovine Flatulence Detector (Radio Shack, $19.95). You said: " leave the piano in such condition that the next tech will be able to repair your repairs without undue effort. CA in many cases makes that impossible."

I challenge the last part of that statement; I believe it is entirely wrong. Barbara mentioned a rare case, now please justify your use of the word "many." What are you talking about? What is your evidence? What CA repairs would have to be "undone," especially with reference to the pinblock

Speak up folks, I'm perfectly willing to be wrong (it's happened before!) but I'm interested in the truth: not hypotheses and certainly not hyperbolic, in-your-face declarations of unproven "fact".

And, just for the record, I would tap in pins, too, and have done so. But only if there is about an 1/8th inch to tap and an 1/8th inch between coil and plate when I'm finished--talk about a repair that can't be easily undone! Oh, and a word of caution to anyone listening: Make sure you know where each coil will be when it's "at pitch" before deciding you have room to tap it. Ever encounter a piano with the coils on the plate? Oog, doom and gloom. Oh, and if you do find a coil that is smack up against a bushing, you can cut and chip around the bushing, or remove it entirely, to make a little wiggle room.

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO