CA Glue for pins [was Re: Aaaaarrrrrgh, Part Deux

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 01:51:00 MDT 2007

At 21:50 +0100 26/9/07, Richard Brekne wrote:

>...I myself am a sceptic to CA in this context

If I had not read hundreds of postings to this list lauding the
effectiveness and harmlessness of superglue, so would I be, but I am
certainly enough persuaded by now to begin using it experimentally,
and not on worn-out old heaps -- simply because such beasts don't get
near my workshop.

Anything that can obviate the need to use larger pins is surely
desirable.  I have just acquired a fine Lipp upright that has had a
few strings untidily replaced, almost certainly due to tuner error
since, like the proverbial Rolls Royce back-axle, "Lipp strings don't
break", and the strings otherwise are good for at least another 50
years.  This piano has agraffes all the way through, so restringing
with a size larger pin would be slightly less troublesome than with a
pressure bar piano. Generally speaking an upright piano is designed
for the original size of pin and many pianos, even from the best
makers, do not take well to the use of a larger pin : the strings
scrape against each other and it is difficult to get the strings to
stay put in their proper position, even with a slight increase in the
size of the wrestpins.

In spite of the many postings on this topic, I am still a little
unsure of the best way to apply the glue and which variety to use.
Can someone who has used the method seriously and considers himself a
good workman please give a simply account of the procedure.

JD