CA Glue for pins [was Re: Aaaaarrrrrgh, Part Deux

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Sep 27 08:04:01 MDT 2007

John,

I've used the treatment successfully for many years.  It need not be
complicated.  There is much in the archives, but here's the nutshell
version:

1.    Water thin CA (red), fresh.  I use Dryburgh Adhesives
http://www.dryburghadhesive.com/

2.    I use the pro-tips that Dryburgh sells, but a livestock syringe would
work as well.

3.    Apply at the base of the tuning pin (bushings are irrelevant, IME).
Capillary action allows the CA to wick into the pinblock.  The first pass
for me is just a few drops.  As you are treating, you will develop a feel
for how much CA a pin will take - if you exceed this, CA will begin to run
down the plate (in an upright).  However, there is rarely a need for this
much CA (some will disagree, but a 2 oz bottle usually will do 2 or 3 blocks
for me).  As I said, a few drops in the first pass, likewise in a second
pass if needed.

4.    Avoid the temptation in a grand to keep adding CA until the
pin/bushing or pin/block junction is saturated - it is rarely if ever
necessary, and may give you grief later as the CA leaks out the bottom.
That said, an obvious preparatory step in a grand is to pull the action and
line the cavity with news print or some such.

5.    Keep a towel and debonder at hand for accidental spills.

Those are the basics.

William R. Monroe