Corrections For Aaaargh & I Spec Someone Does

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Sep 27 15:58:18 MDT 2007

"at the same time the pin is tapered and a thicker portion of the pin has
moved into a different part of the hole along it's entire length".

I wasn't aware of tuning pins as being tapered.  Of course the *square* is
tapered, but surely the threaded part which goes into the pinblock, is
parallel?  I just measured on and it's parallel along its length.  If it was
tapered, how would you know where to measure, to get the correct thickness
measurement for ordering new ones?

I understood the principal active effect of driving the pin further into the
block to be that the end of the pin would now be gripped by a "fresh"
portion of the pinblock hole which had not hitherto had any pin in it and
therefore stood a better chance of gripping.  I can see that the disturbance
of driving the threaded pin along the hole might also disturb pinblock
fibres in a way that cold cause them to grip better.

Best,

David.