baldwin concertmaster

Wally Scherer afinetune at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 17:46:53 MDT 2007

I was at the home of a customer with a nice Baldwin R
Grand piano and a Concertmaster player system
recently. I noticed the sustain pedal was stuck -
always sustaining. Upon examination I found that when
the player mechanism operates the sustain, it is
supposed to pull up on the pedal rod so that the pedal
actually moves up and down.

The problem is that the rod is not really attached to
the lever that tries to pull it up, but rather the rod
has a rubber bushing which snugly fits into a hole in
the lever. But the snugness is not sufficient to keep
the rod in the hole all the time. If it comes out, it
misaligns with the hole resulting in the lever resting
on the rod and engaging the sustain all the time.

The bottom part of the rod is actually attached to the
pedal with a pin, so it won't come out on that end.
But the top part is where the problem is.

Does anyone know of a good fix for this problem. I
would imagine that this is not the first incidence of
this problem.

Please write me directly as I am not receiving the
mass mailings at this time.

Wally Scherer

Wallace T. Scherer, piano technician, music educator
P.O. Box 4121, Lantana, Florida, USA, 33465
Telephone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune