Bass bridge help!

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Fri Sep 28 10:02:38 MDT 2007

"There is a cheap way, and the right way......

The cheap way is to inject or slather in epoxy and
screw it together enough to stop the rattles and get
some transmission of sound, without taking everything
apart.

The right way is to tilt the piano, remove the bass
strings, clean and repair gluing surfaces, shim to get
downbearing, and epoxy and screw and/or dowel the
bridge back in place".

Well I am pleased to note that on the two occasions I've done this work, I
did it the right way!  On both occasions the bridge was completely
detached from the apron, suspended in mid-air on the bass strings. A shim
was absolutely necessary in order to get any downbearing.  Both the pianos
were uprights of only medium value, so major repairs like a new soundboard
with proper crown was not an option, and well beyond my expertise anyway.
The results were highly satisfactory both times.