gluing ivories

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 04:17:42 MDT 2007

At 09:48 +0100 29/9/07, Gregor _ wrote:

>what is that tianium dioxide?

Look it up on Google!

>Is it a powder which you mix with the glue? And where do you get it?
>We tried zinc oxid, but that does not work because it makes the glue
>unglueable, i.e. the glue does not glue anymore.

Titanium dioxide should be very easy to obtain.  I get it from my
suppliers of French polish etc. but you can search for a supplier in
your area.  Since the prohibition of lead oxide paints titanium is
widely used for paint and it is not expensive.  It is also completely
harmless (except on black dresses of course!) and is used in food
products.

Titanium white is powder of a very dense white and if anything I
believe it will enhance the adhesive properties of the glue.  I have
never used anything else, so I can't speak for zinc oxide etc. and
I'm not sure what it was they used in the old days before titanium
was discovered, but as I said before they would have used titanium if
they'd had it.

JD