why I don't post

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Sep 30 13:47:47 MDT 2007

Good post Paul
  Actually I refrain from posting often because of something probably  silly.
 But,In the past when I have posted things I thought might be of  interest,
the silence was deafening so I don't know how to interpret that.  Generally I
classify it as disinterest due to the shop nature of the topic or  that somehow
due to cyber -dom My unbridled enthusiastic show and tell style is
misconstrued as .......well...something else unintended.
    Dunno But since we're clearin the air.

    Dale Erwin
 PS  Maybe it's my speliingg or Thesssar-u-s  wrecx....Conrad...Nahhh.
  Please feel free to lambast me ----off list

Hi:
Contrary to what you might think, there are many  of us (most) who will be
more than happy to answer any piano-related  question you may have.
There are different repair  procedures which have evolved over time for a
particular malady.  It's  amazing to discover that, even for simple repairs,
many different  techniques exist.  That's the advantage of this list. Even
for  replacing elbows in a spinet, many different tricks have been  posted
here.  We have input from some of the finest technicians on  this list, some
of whom are piano designers, engineers, and rebuilders with  decades of
experience to draw from.
It is natural  for those technicians who are successful at the trade to
evolve vastly  different views regarding their particular methods of repair.
A particular  technician may have doing a repair for many years, and find
that it works  for him/her.  He may have developed a theory of why this
method works,  and be convinced that this method is better than all others
because he has  "understood" the underlying cause of the problem.  Another
technician  may have evolved a different understanding, and be  convinced
otherwise.  Even though they may disagree with each other  regarding a
particular method or theory, we can all learn something from  the debate.
What is unfortunate is that too often the  debate becomes personal, and an
argument ensues.  The egos get  involved and it starts to get ugly.  What to
do?  Somehow, the  computer seems to depersonalize the other party.  I doubt
that such  heated arguments would take place if we all sat around a big
table face to  face.
If you have anything you'd like to inquire  about, don't be shy.  Ask!  You
just might find there's a LOT  that can be gained by tapping into this great
resource.
By the way, what's your name?

Paul McCloud
San Diego,  CA