Tuning pin drilling? followup

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Sep 30 23:59:43 MDT 2007

Ron & All

 I truly think this is the great variable.(see line underlined  below). All
things being equal.
    When I use the Multilam blocks capped with delignit, as  you often do
Ron, I find I need at least a .264 for a no. 2 pin. I hate tight  pins
 It's Not only speed & cooling but wether the block is  drilled on a
stationary drill press or an in the piano set up.  I Recently  drilled my first block
in the piano & IMHO there is a greater possibility  for errors as I have
suggested in previous post because of the mobile- ness of  the drill press & it's
tendency to move & vibrate a bit.
   I did some experimental drilling by hand in the same block  using a 2 step
method and truth be told the ones drilled by hand were a better  fit than the
ones drilled by the Drill press set up on the piano.
    Admittedly one attempt is not a conclusion.  SO far  the results are
still good and no. 2 pins 2 1/2 inch Beine pins turn nicely in  both holes but I
will know more when the piano is strung sometime in the future.  By the way
it's a Steinway hexagrip Maple Block.....magic wood.Hmm.   Drilled at .257 at
about 1300 ish rpm's with air. Not a chiller.
  BTW I haven't been able to get my chiller to work well without  blowing
moisture even though it's run thru a filter.  I Don't' get  it.  Suggestions
chiller heads?
  Regards
   Dale

A .272"  bit seems large for a Delignit block. A .257" (F) bit is what I
>  usually use
> in a drill press, I found that even a .261 (G) bit was too  loose.
>
> Generally .010 smaller than the pin was for Falconwood  blocks.

I used 0.268 (6.8mm), and got a real tight fit, where with
0.266 (17/64) I've twisted pins off. If the bit  hasn't been
freehand sharpened, the difference is in the  drilling method.
Ron N