"Normally" carried chemicals

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Apr 2 05:34:14 MST 2008

Paul,

The methyl ethyl keytone is in some cans of laquer in the shop!  It's
interesting to see what is in all this stuff; methyl isobutyl keyton,
toluene, xylene, ethyl benzene, nitrocelluose, etc. It makes me more aware
of the poisons in our shops and will be more attentive to wearing a mask
when working with the stuff.  The laquer was here when I started at UNL.
I've heard one can use it in voicing, but I prefer sanding sealer and
acetone, not any safer, but I like the results.  (Thank you Wally!)
Actually, I hardly do any outside tunings anymore as my position is full
time and then some.

Best,

Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician