New Keytop Material

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro at verizon.net
Wed Apr 2 06:13:41 MST 2008

Paul,
    I have not heard of anything called Ibeck or Ibex, Pratt & Read used a plastic called Implex on their keyboards but I'm not sure if that was the trade name or patented name.
    The material I think you are referring to is Mineral Plastic or Mineral Ivory. We started putting it on and selling it about a year ago and it is by far the best synthetic material available, it is not slippery like other plastics, it is cool to the touch and it is available in colors that more closely resemble ivory and bone. (see our article in the PTG Journal, July 2007).
    It is used in Europe on the best grand pianos and organs made for all of Europe and the United States (there are not any domestic production keyboard manufacturers left in the U.S.), different instrument manufacturers have all (REGISTERED) their own name for it but it is all the same thing.
    I attached a picture of a mineral plastic keyboard and the definition from our website to this post. Enjoy, Mike
Mineral plastic tops (Mineral Ivory)

Mineral Plastic is a synthetic material with a very high mineral content. These minerals make for a plastic that looks and feels very much like natural materials such as the coveted ivory or bone. It is widely used on European pianos and organs and is quickly gaining acceptance domestically for the same. Mineral plastic come in 3 shades, white, off-white and crème color. Available in pieces measuring 1 inch wide by 6 inches long, octave sections or sheets. Mineral plastic can be made satin, low-gloss, high-gloss and textured. Matching material for the key front can also be obtained. $275.00 Per Set

Michael A. Morvan
Blackstone Valley Piano
Dedicated To Advancing The Art Of Keyboard Restoration
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma. 01569
(508) 278-9762
Keymaestro at verizon.net