cracked plate

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 10:49:37 MST 2008

List,

I have a Chickering 1/4 grand in the shop with a hairline crack on the treble strut between the two capo sections.? This is right where a nose bolt passes through, so the crack extends from the top of the strut to about halfway through.?

I'm sure it was my error that caused the crack.? (I restrung the piano, chipped it, and had it up to pitch before realizing that I still had my support jack in the high treble.? With all the string tension, it was really wedged in.? It was very difficult getting it to release and when I released the jack, I heard the crack.? I marked the end of the crack so I could see if it was growing.? The pitch hasn't dropped noticeably, but then that is hard to gauge since it is still in the very rough tuning stage.

I read Richard Oliver Snelson's article on plate repair (stitching and welding, "A Double-Safe Engineered Plate Repair" November 2000 PTJ).? This looks promising, but is way beyond my current ability.? I'm also not sure how this would work where a nose bolt has to come right up through the area where the crack is.

Most of the articles online about repairing plate cracks seem to be at strut forks, or in the hitchpin area.? Does anyone have any experience repairing a crack at a nosebolt, and can anyone recommend someone who can do this repair?? (or do I eat this piano?)?

It has made for a lousy day, but at least this is/was a piano with little market value.? If it is toast, I'm not out a lot of money.

Thanks for any suggestions

Gordon Large, RPT
Hallowell, ME