cracked plate

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 12:35:31 MST 2008

What Dale said.

Support jack? A pinblock support jack? I'm having trouble visualizing how a pinblock support jack could cause the plate to crack. You reference "releasing" the jack. What type of jack is it? I'm only familiar with screw-type pinblock supports.

When you put the pinblock support in place, I guess I've never been instructed one way or another, but I just snug it in - I don't jack the pinblock up at all. So if the jack didn't move the block, and hence the plate, and then you remove the support with tension on the strings, okay, so the plate/block will adjust some tiny little bit, but why would it cause a crack? Seems to me the plate would be in that position anyway and would be experiencing whatever stresses it does either way.

I just don't see how removing a pinblock support would cause the plate to crack. Thoughts?

Terry Farrell