cracked plate

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 14:35:33 MST 2008

 It wasn't very loud.? In fact I first thought it was just the handle of my 2lb mallet falling over on the keybed.? Nothing like a gun shot.

I had to remove the jack by using a second jack to share the load, then took turns easing each one until they came out.? I'd like to think the crack was already there, but I think I would have noticed before.

I made a mark at the end of the crack so I could tell if it gets longer.? I'm hoping there is someone with experience who might be able to weld this without taking the whole thing apart.? (I know nothing about welding, and don't really want to learn on this instrument.? I can picture myself burning down my shop)

This is a 103 year old Chickering that had a lot of problems, but I thought I could save it.

-Gordon Large