Taxes: Business use of vehicle

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:57:41 MST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Will Truitt <surfdog at metrocast.net> wrote:

> If it is too much trouble for someone to keep records, then simply do not
> claim your mileage as a deduction.  Or if you do, be able to substantiate it
> to the satisfaction of the IRS.

It's pretty easy to keep mileage logs. I use my PDA.  First, create an Excel
(or similar) spreadsheet. (I do one for each month.)  Enter the date, start
and finish mileage, and the purpose for business travel.  The spreadsheet
calculates the total mileage for both the day and the entire month.

It's pretty simple to then add up 12 months worth of mileage and get your
annual total.  I guess some people on the list can even do that in binary.
 I personally just use regular old numbers. ;-)

--

JF