Tokiwa back action was "Old/New"... Improvement??

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 4 05:26:36 MST 2008

Right on Dale!

Al Guecia
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: erwinspiano at aol.com
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:56 PM
  Subject: Tokiwa back action was "Old/New"... Improvement??

  Hi John
    I've used both iterations of this Tokiwa back action part without incident. The one that was broken had to be a shipping accident. Although, I would also like to see more material at this point, there isn't really that much stress on this part in the working piano. I have little concern about the long term strength of the part. Of course the version that broke in shipping is an clever effort by Randy Morton to provide a part that doesn't require the need to cut the damper wires. It's a nuisance. The other tokiwa part is certainly a viable & solid option.
     I spoke to Randy Morton today about this issue & suggested that it would be great if they simply duplicated the old style part. He reminded me that  where the hole is drilled all the way thru the top flange & it's a tricky manufacturing set up, ......because the damper wire hole is drilled so it just misses  the sostenuto tab center pin.  However, it was done that way for years in the old original parts & In my simplistic mind should again be possible.
    So we have a few issue with parts makers from time to time but I know from conversations with them all that they are all continuously working on improvements & succeeding  ....all of them!!
      I'd like to go on record by expressing my enormous gratitude to our Suppliers/importers . Renner U.S.A. from Lloyd & Donna Meyer, & Tokiwa from Randy Morton & the Pacific Piano crew & the Abel parts from Brooks limited..... plus Jurgen Goehring from Pianoforte supply.
    Let's not forget the  bad old days when we had no quality parts to choose from.  Now we have at least 3 majors parts makers/importers knocking them selves out to help us make a living .
    I say God Bless em all.
    Dale

  Old on the left, New on the right. Improvement or
  What's Wrong With This Picture?

  Since three 'New" top flanges were broken in the box
  at that meager 3mm interface at the yoke with the lever,
  I doubt the longevity of these puppies.

  The length of the new tab is shortened (-3mm)
  to duplicate the stiff tab on older S$S models
  to relieve sostenuto rod problems.

  I think something got confused in the translation.

  Return For Regrooving . . .

  --
  Regards,

  Jon Page