S&S "O" Fallboard

Mike McCoy mjmccoy at usa.com
Mon Apr 7 09:35:30 MDT 2008

Hi All,

    I have a customer with a rebuilt "O". The fallboard does not open as
far as I believe it should and she is afraid of it falling on the kids
fingers. It definitely does not sit vertical and I can easily slip my
fingers in between the fallboard and the stretcher. There is absolutely
nothing wrong with it that I can see, not hitting anything, acts the
same with the action out. The fallboard is opening to the point where it
presses against it's felt covered stop on the cheekblock and the felt is
thin. Removing the felt would not give needed clearance to do the job. I
can certainly shave the block down to make it work but that's not the
right thing to do if I am missing something obvious. The s/n on the
blocks does match the piano.The brass pivot plates on the blocks are not
adjustable in any way as they are mortised into the blocks.  The pivot
plates are not interchangable (side to side) because of their shape (the
bottom angle of the plates match the angle of the blocks).  I don't get
it.

Also, should an "O" have a flat spring inside to hold the fallboard up?
Is this possibly the only problem?

Thanks!

Mike McCoy
Langhorne, PA