Why "Hot Hide Glue" is ideal for bushiings....

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Apr 8 05:32:59 MDT 2008

Agar jelly has been tried for photographic film, but it doesn't work as well
(agar is produced from seaweed). Animal-derived gelatine has a chemical
effect on the "grains" of light-sensitive chemicals (tiny crystals) in the
emulsion. This chemical effect is called "ripening" and it apparently
doesn't happen with seaweed-derived agar.

For what it's worth, I have read that most of the photo industry's gelatin
is sourced from India where the animals die naturally and are not
slaughtered for meat.  In any case, production of film and other Agar based
emulsions products is greatly reducing because of digital imaging.

Sorry if this is all getting a bit TOO ephemeral!  Since you like ephemera,
though, Thumpe, you might like to see this pic I took on 11 November 2007,
of my visiting friend from Siberia, reading a copy of Glasgow's Evening
Times dated 11 November 1918, which has been in my family since that date.
That's what comes of being from a family that doesn't throw out ephemera!

Best,

David.

"Oh well.
Thumpe

P.S. If I ever "strike it rich", funding research into
a  non-animal substitute for film emulsion is high on
my "to-do" list!!!!!"