sharp tuning

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 16:10:03 MDT 2008

Paul

Actually, the piano is not really chipped a half step high. It starts out that way, but by the time I'm done chipping, it's down significantly. I start my chipping with the first note in the tenor. I chip one string of that note a half step high. I then chip a major scale, one string only, all the way up. I then chip the second note in the tenor a half step higher than the first note, and again doing one string for each note, chip a major scale. (of course the?3rd and 7th note of that scale are already "tuned". I then chip one more string on each note, and finish chipping the third string. I then chip the bass strings. I've never actually measured the first string in the tenor, but?after I install the dampers and push in the action, I usually wind up doing about a?50% - 60%?pitch raise, with the?SAT set?25 cents high. I wind up with good, stable tunings.

As far as what Noah found, whoever restrung that piano either didn't know what he was doing, or misunderstood the difference between a half step and and a whole step. I've run across Asian pianos that were 25 cents high right out of the box. They must have started higher than that when they left the factory,?but I'm sure it wasn't a whole step higher.

Wim