stretching wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Apr 9 09:04:14 MDT 2008

> I think my intuitive mind wants me to think that as the tension on the
> wire increases, that the wire has to stretch.  On cogitating for a full
> second, it would make sense that that cannot be the case (at least there
> cannot be any appreciable stretch), otherwise, we would not be able to
> raise the pitch on a given string.  If it stretched, the pitch would drop.

The wire does stretch when you add tension, it just stretches
within it's elastic limit, and isn't a permanent stretch. Let
the tension down, and it goes back to it's original length.
Pre-stretching with a roller does the same thing. The wire
stretches as you lean on it, and goes right back where it was
when you quit - unless you pushed too hard and damaged it.
Ron N