Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 10:13:18 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Michelle Smith <
michelle at smithpianoservice.com> wrote:

>  Hi all.  I have to admit that I'm pretty tired of old clunker pianos.
> Hammers are shot, strings are beginning to break, parts are failing left and
> right, and the pinblock was done quite a while ago.  The problem is that
> many people in my area can't afford anything better and there's no one else
> in my county to work on these old pianos.
>

> I'm curious how many of you refuse to work on clunkers anymore.  Every
> time I work on one I tell myself it is my last!  =)
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Michelle Smith
>
> Smith Piano Service
>
> Bastrop, Texas

Hi Michelle,

I have lived/worked in an area similar to yours for almost 40 years now. I
do what the instrument needs, assuming the customer can afford it. The
caveat to that is, I first ascertain what their use and expectations are, of
the piano. Many times I want to do much more than the customer NEEDS to have
done.
We as techs forget that the customer is used to the poor playing qaulity of
these pianos and if they are simply playing occasionaly for their own
amazement. They don't want or need a concert ready instrument.
Many times we need to lower our expectations to what the customer wants/can
afford. Tune it, make all of the keys work then if they can afford it tweak
that action so it plays a little better. I find very few of my customers
with marginal pianos are concerned with tone, most are much more concerned
with function!
I have found it to be a tremendous learning experience that has stood me in
good stead with my more discerning customers as my business has grown to
include better pianos and a clientele with higher expectations

Mike
--
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that
will allow a solution.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404