Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:34:04 MDT 2008

Michelle,

I, like a lot of the "long time" tuners who spent most of their early career
in smaller, rural type of areas, made a large percentage of my income
working on these "beasties". We learn shortcuts of various kinds, down &
dirty as someone said, but would at least make the instrument play. We
didn't like it but didn't have a whole lot of choice if we wanted to make a
living. Most of my time there I had a full-size van (when gas was a LOT
cheaper) <grin> and carried enough spare parts & tools in it to do almost
anything short of a major restoration job. I even carried a tilter.  Got a
few wobbly hammers that are chewing up the hammer felt? Point it out to the
customer, get their approval, and replace them. Same with those plastic
elbows that break so often. Get some snap-on types and replace them. Etc.,
etc. When the customer sees that some of the problems are going to continue
and would ultimately be cheaper to just go ahead and replace the set all at
once, by planning ahead they can usually come up with the money & then you
have a fairly good paying job there. Some time in the future, maybe replace
all the flanges. Etc., etc. You get the idea. Taking up a lot of lost motion
usually doesn't take long and it can make a large difference in how the
piano feels. Point out the difficulty a child could be having playing under
those conditions compared to what he/she probably plays on at their
teacher's house.

Before I moved to Houston for the university job, a large part of my career
was spent in San Angelo, TX. I also had a fairly large area surrounding it
that I serviced. I always tried to get whoever called to line up a whole
days work before I made the trip. In several towns I had a piano teacher,
church music director, school music teacher, etc. do it. Most of them got to
the point where they'd line up 4-6 pianos before they even called me. In one
town, Alpine, TX, I had a school music teacher that would put an ad in the
local paper 2-3 weeks ahead and I'd usually have enough work that I could
stay 5-7 days working all day. Mostly tunings but always "some" repair.
Broken strings, etc. That kind of arrangement made it easier for me and
cheaper on them because I could divide the extra mileage & motel charge
among the customers.

One thing that finally started getting me better quality pianos, besides
always trying to do good work, was when I started tuning regularly for the
San Angeo Symphony. I worked out a deal with them for reduced rates that
when they had a guest pianist perform, they always put a "blurb" on the
bottom of the page containing the program. Something like "Pianos tuned &
maintained by Avery Todd." Getting the university contract also helped.

Thankfully, I've reached an age and a point in my career where I will
usually refer any of those 'clunker' calls to someone I trust who's trying
to make a full-time living and wants the work.

Sorry about the length of this but I just wanted to chime in with my .02
worth.

Avery Todd
Houston, TX