Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Apr 10 17:44:50 MDT 2008

Hi Michelle,

I, too, have had to "comdemn" some pianos.  "It was my grandmothers'
wedding present, or some such, but some pianos just can't be "given" a new
life.  BUT, if the pianos in your area are common, some judgement needs to
be employed. If you can do just enough to "get it going", everyone
benefits.  I used to live on an island in Washington state where this was
very common.  Some were worth "fixing", (just get it to play) and some
were just too much.  It is all up to you how much you need business, how
much can be done to this piano, and how much the intstrument means to the
family. It sounds like this is very common out there, so you have to take
each piano as it happens.  I never made enough money on such dead
instruments to try to sell the job, but I'm hoping my education to releive
their burden and invest in a newer (or rental) instrument might be a
better choice.  Especially, I mean, especially, if their child is starting
in piano lessons.  This is where I would "draw the line".  Sometimes, I
would come in and they'd already refinished it and it looked really nice,
but then I would open the lid and "oooooooh" no good!  When I started
piano lessons (waaaaaaay back) we had an old upright, but after 6 months
of lessons, my folks realized that I was "gifted" enough.  They didn't get
me a Steinway or something good, but did get a better piano that "worked".
 Soon thereafter we were blessed with "baby-sitting" a Baldwin grand where
I was able to really begin to play better. Now that I'm in a university
setting, I'm realizing that I have a lot of practicing to do!!!!  These
kids are playing stuff that I was pretty good at when I was 18, but "lost"
a lot of my "chops"!

The main thought of my ramble is to learn how to weigh off what the piano
can do, what the owner wants, and what means they may have to invest in it
or get something better.  Sometimes, you have to fish or cut bait.

Best of luck to you and I know how it goes.....just use good judgement and
don't take advantage of any situation for profit.

Best,

Paul

Stephen Grattan <lostchordclinic at ameritech.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/10/2008 03:55 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Clunker pianos - what do you do?

Michelle,

I also have a simple rule-of-thumb.  I give the customer- in writing, a
full assessment of the piano, its current value and its potential value -
then let the customer decide.  I have had many cases where I have given
the customer dozens of reasons to junk it and they will say "It was
Grandmas - I want to do it"  The money is green, they have made an
informed decision, I have full-filled my obligations and I like to pay my
bills- so I do it.  Have a great day!

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic