pay you later (even worse)

Robin Stevens pianobee at bigpond.com
Fri Apr 11 16:59:47 MDT 2008

Don’t fall the trap that happened to me recently. After presenting the bill
to the customer she informed me that she only had ¾ of the total in cash.
She then said she would pay me with a check and went into another room.
Assuming she was going to write out the cheque  I proceeded to mark the
account as paid. When she came back she said she would post me the
cheque....OK...she looked a honest old lady. When nothing arrived in the
mail I sent her a reminder and then gave her a call where she informed me
she DID pay the ¾ amount in cash and that the balance was only $xx ( I am
positive no cash was paid to me). I sent another reminder for the small
amount owing according to her but a month has passed without the final
payment ;-((   I do not have a leg to stand on as she has a piece of paper
saying that the account is fully paid #$%^#  Moral of the story.....DONT
write a receipt until you have the money or cheque in your hot hands!!

Robin Stevens ARPT

South Australia

PS I might play the last card I have in my hand with this situation, here in
south Australia we can go to the local court house and issue a small claim
summons for $15. The debtor is mailed a official court summons document for
the amount and the summons cost where it says unless fully paid in 28 days
the debtor will have to appear in court and explain. I know I won’t
win...but...she will have to do a 14 hour drive to appear in the court where
the summons was issued...more than one way to skin a cat ;-))