More classic false beat tricks

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 14 02:31:47 MDT 2008

Hey Joe.

Hmm.... I have to believe the non-speaking lengths are going to get
excited anyways.  As far as the basic cause for false beats, I've come
to the conclusion that its clearly more complicated then the bridge-pin
being loose. Too much that simply doesnt add up... to many things you
can do to influence the false beat that dont have anything to do with
the pin itself... like this bit about coating the string with some fluid
for example.  And for that matter... too many clearly loose bridge pins
that dont have a corresponding false beat.

Curious that you mention false beats in the braided area tho. I've been
paying pretty close attention to false beat occurance in  the lower
areas of the scale and it seems to me that they (this classic <<respond
to the screwdriver trick>> type of false beat) are present really
everywhere. But they seem to have a rather limited apparent frequency
range. Aurally in anycase, they always seem to sound like they are
happening at that 2000 Hz + range. In the bass you can sort them out of
the aural mesh of overtones and lower bass frequencies if you listen
closely enough... but they are most definitely there.  And they respond
to all the same kinds of tricks.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,
    Thinking. about transverse and liniar sound waves and the energy that is
    present to excite the back scale segments of the string and other back
    string segments of notes not being played. Causing them to sound in
    with the
    struck string. Like ghosting.

    Just an observation, I have never heard a false beat in the sections
    that
    have braiding of the back scale that could not be lessened by
    seating the
    string. My thought here, is loose bridge pins, are the cause.
    But if one braids off the section one also kills projection and
    sustain of
    the piano.
    Joe Goss RPT
    Mother Goose Tools