treble fish on steriods

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Apr 15 03:41:36 MDT 2008

Hi Dean.

Interesting to see this concept in such an old instrument. Do you have a
production year for this piano ?  Also interesting discussion.  Again
tho... we see concepts that have been thrown out and more or less
presented as new or re-newed that have in fact been tried out and
rejected by the industry at large over the past century or so... like
the transition bridge and other such suggestions.  I have to wonder if
the reason for this has to do with the empirical nature the dominate
piano <<sound>> that emerged was arrived at, which in turn was a very
good measure of what human kind taken as a whole decided was <<best
sounding>>.  Individuals may like other acoustical behavior better to be
sure.  As an example I'd point out the Phoenix instrument from
Steingræber and the Stuart and Sons instrument.  Very cool with all that
sustain up there in the treble, but comments I've heard from musicians
I've talked to about that immediately point out that there is virtually
no music written for this kind of sustain usage.

To take that a bit further.... recent experience tells me that more then
very moderately short sustain times typically found in popular
constructions that are some years old do, by and large, not seem all
that welcome amoung pianists after all. When one actually takes too much
of the percussive ping away.... then one evidently limits ones audience
quite a bit.

Cheers
RicB

    Attached is a 6 foot Hallet Davis with a treble fish on steroids. It has
    something of a bass cutoff and then what looks like another fish
    under the
    bass bridge. Very curious.

    It has agraffes all the way up plus agraffes on the bridge.

    I am refinishing this piano which is hand grained rosewood. Don't
    know how
    I'm going to put it back, yet.

    Dean May