treble fish on steroids

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Apr 15 12:18:21 MDT 2008

That's what you get for being in Aberdeen at the time! :>)

Paul T. Williams RPT

"Delwin D Fandrich" <fandrich at pianobuilders.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/15/2008 01:16 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

"'Pianotech List'" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
RE: treble fish on steroids

Well, I think the etymology of Capo d'Astro is a little obscure -- more of
glorified marketing term than anything really descriptive of function --
but I
take responsibility for the word "fish" being used to describe that
particular
type of treble soundboard shaping device.

When I started using them -- and teaching others how to use them -- nobody
was
calling them anything. They had not been used -- and rarely seen -- for
the best
part of a century. The word "fish" became popular around the shop based on
their
shape, obviously not their function. Eventually one of our workers put a
mouth,
eyes, gills and even a fin or two on one and hung it on the wall. It
stuck. (The
name, not the fish.) So be it.

Del