treble fish on steroids

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Apr 15 13:42:07 MDT 2008

I don't think I entirely buy that argument, Frank.

I'll give you it for "agraffe" which basically means a hook, and is sort-of
descriptive of the piano part. (The modern French for a staple is agraffe).

But the etymology of Capo d'astro (or Capo d'asto) is really very fanciful
and only by the greatest semantical stretch could be said to in any way
describe its function. (There is a very good post by Delwin Fandrich about
this in the archives).

Wippen or whippen may be SLIGHTLY better as the root is the same as "whip"
and conveys the thought of a sudden swing. But many action parts could be
described as moving in that way, but they're not described as wippen. (Whip
and whippen, like beat and beaten).

And how about the Jack?

But these are etymological byways one must go down to get at meaning.  The
part names MAY at one time and in another language have been vaguely
descriptive, though not necessarily. But now?

At any rate, I am going to suggest that since, at least in UK usage, a piece
of wood used for filling in a space is called a Fillet, the proper term for
the part under discussion is:  A Fish Fillet!  No?  Or a Soundboard Fish
Fillet.

I'll shut up now.

David.

"Exactly!  If you trace any of these terms to their original language, they
are descriptive of their function, not some silly relationship to what it
looks like.

Frank Emerson"