Wurlitzer Console Woes

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 22:27:06 MDT 2008

Hi, All:
            There was a recent discussion about Wurlitzer console action problems.  My customer has a sluggish action, where the slightest amount of friction upsets the balance, and the key, won't return.  Also, someone sprayed something on this action that’s softened the wood.  Many of the wippen flanges are loose and you can wiggle the wippens side to side.  I took a flange off to repin it, and the flange split in two while I was removing the pin.  I blame whatever was sprayed everywhere on the wood.  It’s also made the action centers sticky.   I may have to add weights somewhere before all is said and done.
            But that’s not my immediate problem.  I need to replace the action screws which broke off inside the piano.  You know the ones-  they’re buried behind the plate.  I got the new Grab-It kit from the local H.D. and I found a Wurlitzer screw remover in the Schaff  catalog.  Anybody have any luck with this?  I also need the screws.  I did find some lag bolts that are the same size, which I’ll use if I have to.
            Any suggestions (aside from trashing this thing) would be welcome.   Thanks!
            Paul McCloud
            San Diego

Paul McCloud
Service Technician for PianoSD.com